National Poison Prevention Week Council
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
2023 National Poison Prevention Week
Video Contest and Poster Showcase
Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry this year in support of NPPW Week! The public gallery with all the received entries is now open.
Anyone is welcome to vote for their favorite videos and the video with the highest vote tally at the end of the voting period will be awarded a prize.
The voting parameters includes:
- One vote per email address per day. Please note that “per day” is per 24-hour period (ex if you vote at 10a you cannot vote until 10a the next day.)
- The gallery can be accessed HERE.
People’s Choice Award Public Voting Deadline:
- The voting closes 11:59 pm CST (12:59 am EST/10:59 pm MST/9:59 pm PST) on March 3, 2023.
The judging is underway and the winners will be notified on March 3, 2023.
Theme: When poison happens, poison centers are here for you.
Everyone has a poison story. We have all experienced an accident or the unexpected happens and we’re unsure what to do or where to turn. Whether it’s a child who got into the medicine cabinet, you’re unsure about a medication interaction, or you’ve been exposed to a chemical or insect, poison centers are here to provide expert advice, 24/7/365, at no cost.
National Poison Prevention Week is a nationally designated week, held annually the third full week of March, highlighting the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them. Annually, the National Poison Prevention Week Council sponsors a nationwide contest and other activities to engage the community in helping to encourage the safety of children and adults.
Students in kindergarten through fourth grade are invited to participate in a poison safety poster showcase. Posters will be featured on the National Poison Prevention Week Council social media platforms for all participants to view and share. All participants will be entered into a drawing to win prizes and will be recognized by the council.
Students in fifth through twelfth grade are invited to participate in a video contest. Videos will be featured on the National Poison Prevention Week Video Gallery, social media platforms and will be eligible to win prizes. All participants will be eligible to win prizes and will be recognized by the council.
All public recognition information will be posted to protect the children’s identity. No personal information on the participants will be disclosed.
To get ideas for topics, all participants are invited to:
- Visit the interactive Virtual Escape Room from America's Poison Centers!
- Explore PoisonHelp.org, the official site of America's Poison Centers, to learn more about prevention and trends in poison prevention.
What is the goal of the Video Contest and Poster Showcase?
- To enhance participants knowledge of poison prevention and home safety.
- To create poison prevention safety messaging by kids for kids.
- How would you show poison prevention and home safety to your friends? Create something that you would want to see.
- To use the safety messaging created by this contest to educate the public about the dangers of poisons. The posters and winning videos will be featured in America’s Poison Centers resources throughout the year.
- Raise awareness of the free Poison Help line, 1-800-222-1222.
Prizes (Summary - see Contest Guidelines below for all the details)
The Grand Prize Winner will receive:
- $1,000 total ($500 to the student producer(s) and $500 to the sponsoring organization or school as indicated on the entry form.)
- Invitation to an in-person award presentation during National Poison Prevention Week— March 19-25, 2023 with airfare and hotel covered for the winner and a parent/guardian.
The 1st place winners from each age group (Grade 5-8 and Grade 9-12) will each receive:
- $200 total ($100 to the student producer(s) and $100 to the sponsoring organization or school as indicated on the entry form.)
The People’s Choice Award winner will receive:
- $100 prize to the student producer(s)
Congratulations to our previous contest winners!
- 2022 Grand Prize Winner: Collin from Kenosha, Wisconsin
- 2021 Grand Prize Winner: Collin from Kenosha, Wisconsin
- 2020 Grand Prize Winner: Ryan from Auburn, Washington
Please visit our galleries to view last year's video entries HERE.
Ready to get started?
Scroll down and click the submit button to learn more and begin your entry.
If you have questions, please call National Poison Prevention Week Council Chair (Ms. Cordz) at 503-404-3232 or email: NPPW@marketactives.com.
Please note: This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or any other social platform that it is advertised on.